Just to be clear, I’m talking about this:
- File:Rally_to_Restore_Sanity_andor_Fear_-_Jon_Stewart_2.jpglicensed with Cc-by-2.0
Uploaded with derivativeFX
See Tracy bestow this nickname here: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-april-15-2010/tracy-morgan
As patriotic as “Stew Beef” looks in the above picture, few things are as American as Beef Stew in fall. I don’t know about your part of the world, but around here, the weather is already calling for soups, chili, and stews. The recipe below is a thrifty, but hearty version.
- Large Soup Pot
- 2 Tbsp. Cooking Oil
- 1 Pkg. Stew Beef (Not “Stew Beef”)
- 1 Medium Onion
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 4 -5 Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 Small Pkg. Sliced Frozen Mushrooms
- 1/2 Large Pkg. Mixed Frozen Vegetables (Peas, Corn, Green Beans, Carrots)
- 1/2 Box Small Pasta Shells
- 8 – 10 Dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 8 oz Zesty Tomato & Green Chili Sauce (See photo below)
- 2 Tbsp. Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Corn Starch
- 2 Tbsp. Paprika
- 3/4 – 1 tsp. Parsley Flakes
- 3/4 – 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/8 tsp. Red Pepper
- 3 – 6 Dashes Hot Sauce (Optional)
- Salt to Taste
- Pepper to Taste
- 1/2 Box Small Macaroni Shells
Cover pot in cooking oil. Add beef. Sprinkle with paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook until brown on medium high heat. * I realize this seems like a lot of paprika, but it’s a big pot of stew. This will help give the beef and the stew a nice color and lots of flavor.
Fill pot 3/4 full with water. Yes, water. Would beef stock be tasty? Of course. But we’re on a budget for this recipe. There’s so much flavor added throughout this process, you won’t miss it. I promise.
Add beef back to pot. Add bay leaf. Taste for salt. Add more if needed. Stir. Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer. Cover pot with lid. Simmer for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes – until potatoes and beef are tender. Stir occasionally.
Cook pasta shells separately in salted water. * No one likes a mushy noodle. One tip for keeping your pasta al dente in your soup is to undercook your noodles slightly. I cooked these for 5 minutes. The package called for 8 minutes.
Stir well. Add salt to taste if needed. Add pepper to taste. Don’t serve the bay leaf!